Part-time Culinary Instructor
Experience it – Ajax! The Town of Ajax, situated on the northern shore of Lake Ontario, is an innovative municipal sector leader that provides a variety of services to one of the fastest growing communities in Ontario. With over 119,000 residents, Ajax's rich heritage and culturally diverse community make it a great place to work and live. Great People, Great Culture! While embracing change, the employees of the Town of Ajax will meet the challenges of the future and be seen as innovative public sector leaders. As a team of valued employees, taking pride and ownership in all that we do, we will exceed expectations and strive to be known as the Town that thinks like a business and acts with a strong sense of community. Part-time Culinary Instructor Under the direct supervision of the Community Recreation Supervisor (CRS), the Culinary Instructor will be responsible for planning, executing, and evaluating an enjoyable and safe program that teaches the basics of specified culinary arts programs to participants of all ages.
• Develop a 6-8 week progressive learning culinary arts curriculum that reflects program themes in coordination with the CRS, Canada’s Food Guide, and program age guidelines.
• Ensure programs incorporate cooking terminology, methods, food ingredient background, dietary information, kitchen safety, and proper food handling techniques.
• Purchase supply and equipment and manage preparation, class set-up, and clean-up.
• Implement a number of holiday themed workshops, combining both culinary arts and decorative ideas.
• Perform administrative tasks necessary to support the program (e.g. attendance forms, lesson plans, incident reports/logs, etc.).
• Work cooperatively and maintain ongoing and effective communication with participants, parents, the public and management.
• Minimum 1 year Culinary Arts experience (e.g. catering, instructor/teacher, event/party planning, degree or diploma in related field, etc.)
• Must have knowledge of the culinary program being taught (baking knowledge and skills is considered an asset)
• Strong communication and leadership skills
• Enthusiasm, dedication, and commitment to the program
• Ability to work interdependently
• Positive and responsible attitude
• Must be adaptable to the diverse needs of participants.
• Current Standard First Aid with CPR C, and HIGH FIVE
Applications are accepted online until 11:59 p.m. on February 25, 2018. Please apply online at https://www.ajax.ca/en/insidetownhall/employmentopportunities.asp
We would like to thank all applicants however, please note that only those selected to attend an interview will be contacted and all other applicants will be kept on file. Applicants are advised that written, oral and practical testing may form part of the selection process. Applicants must provide a valid email address for communication purposes (one that you check on a regular basis). If your email address changes, please update your profile with your new email address. The Town of Ajax is an equal opportunity employer, committed to diversity and accessibility within the workplace where all employees feel valued, respected and supported. As a best practice employer, the Town embraces diversity and gender expression through policy, staff training and providing positive spaces. The Town encourages applications from all qualified candidates. If selected for an interview, please inform Human Resources of any accommodation you may require during the process.